In the state of ohio, does the executor have to show itemized statements or a daily accounting of financial statements to the beneficiaries?

The executor says she does not have to show itemize accounting of how she spent
the monies, CDs, etc from my mothers estate and out trust. Is this true? What does
she legally have to show me? State of ohio

Asked on May 2, 2016 under Estate Planning, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The executor is both wrong and right. She is right in that there are no specified materials that she must regularly provide. She is wrong in that she has a fiduciary duty to the beneficiaries, and if they believe that she is either wasting money or taking money/assets out for her own benefit or the benefit of her family, friends, business associates, etc., the beneficiaries have the right to file a legal action seeking an "accounting": i.e. requiring her to, in court, account for her actions and expenditures/payments. If a legal action is filed, she will have to provide detail and back-up as to what she has done and spent. If you want to bring such an action, speak with an attorney: this type  of action is more procedurally complex than, say, suing someone over an unpaid bill or fender bender in small claims court, and having the assistance of counsel is recommended.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.