Can my ex keep me from moving 110 miles from my current location?

I want to move to within the state. We are not divorced yet but are working on starting the process.

Asked on August 31, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation.  I am assuming that there are children involved here.  There is not a yes or no answer to this question.  Can the custody agreement state a distance that the parties may move from wach other while they share joint custody?  Yes, it can and often state law states the same as well.   The courts do not wish to burden one party or the other in having to deal with visitation issues - dropping off/picking up.  I would speak with an attorney on the matter as soon as you can.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.