If I filed a lawsuit in small claims and won even though I had the corp name wrong but under the DBA had the correct legal name, is there any way to amend the “Complaint for Money Owed”?

Can I make an amendment before the case is heard, so that it won’t get thrown out on appeal in Dist. Court? Under appeal he will argue that I sued the wrong company.

Asked on October 27, 2015 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

With a small claims case, it's probably best to voluntarily dismiss this case and to refile it with the correct information: that's the surest way to make sure that it won't be dismissed for being filed against the wrong party. If you don't want to do that, ask the clerk of the court for the procedure to amend a small claims complaint, but be advised you may not be able to do so--typically, there are no motions in small claims court, but amending a complaint if done by motion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.