How can I stop a divorce that has been filed if we have decided to reconcile?

My wife decided she does not want a divorce now so I need to know if we have to sign any forms etc.

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Family Law, Mississippi


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You and your wife can file a request for dismissal with the court.  The court form varies from state to state.  Check the appropriate information which would be dismissal of entire action and dismissal of all parties.  If dismissal with prejudice is checked, that means the case cannot be reinstated in the future.  If dismissal without prejudice is checked, that means that although the case is dismissed, it can be reinstated in the future.  After both parties have signed the request for dismissal form, file it with the court.  Court procedures may vary, but if the document is not immediately stamped by the court clerk, you may  need to leave a self-addressed stamped envelope in order to receive a conformed copy.  Conformed means a court-stamped copy for your records.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.