Are there laws regarding employee abuse or work environments?

The owner of the company I work for verbally abuses the entire staff, using obscenities and even calling hourly employees in their days off and yelling/tormenting. We all need employment so have not left. Are there steps we can take to force a change?

Asked on January 26, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country harassment by an employer or co-employee is prohibited. Based upon what you have written about your employer is harassing his or her employees. I suggest that you and others discuss the bad situation with a labor law attorney and/or a representative with the local department of labor to see what your legal options are to end the "bad behavior".

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, thee are,  What you describe here is a form of harassment.  Your supervisor is using his authority in ian improper manner.  You can contact an employment lawyer and also the department of labor.  There is strength in numbers.  Keep a good recod of what is happening.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.