What recourse do I have if my employer changes my job title which is deemed a downgrade for future promotional opportunities?

I have been with company for 15 years and strived to make it to a business consultant role. Returned from a 3 week military commitment and was told four of us on the team were affected and changed only our title (not pay) to a Business bnalyst role that no longer aligned with only a couple responsibilities. I completely feel degraded and embarrassed right now; other folks have approached me in the company to perceive the change as a downgrade or punishment. The 4 of us affected are now looking for other jobs, but this move appears that we are under educated and have a lower status.

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you do not have any recourse unless you had an employment contract which set your title or defined your role. In the absence of a contract, all employees are employees at will. One of the consequences of being an employee at will is that the employer is free to change titles, duties, responsibilities, etc. at any time it wants; the employer, not the employee, defines the role, job, and title.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.