Is there a way to get out of a short sale home contract and get your earnest money back based on an inspection report or on nearby sex offenders?

Asked on November 2, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) Inspection report: you can get out of the contract only if there was an "inspection contingency" in the contract of sale (that is, some provision allowing you to terminate the contract based on the results of an inspection report) and you complied with all its terms, time lines, requirements, etc.
2) There is no out from a home purchase contract for nearby sex offenders.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.