If real estate property has multiple owners, is each indivdual owner’s property tax liability limited to his/her interest in the property?

I, along with 25 family members, am being sued for delinquent property taxes on improved rental property, whereby we were unaware that we had an ownership interest. I remember 10+ years ago, my aunt was upset that her sister had assumed ownership/control of the property and collected rents without disclosing accounting records. However, the controlling aunt indicated she had solely inherited the property. We assumed this was true as taxes were solely billed to and paid by this aunt for 20+ years till her death. What is my property tax liability (%) and how should I respond to this suit?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You all need a lawyer to help with this.  Guidance on responding is difficult with out seeing the paperwork and really, you should answer but in this forum no one can tell you "how."  Your tax liability will probably be in the same percentage of ownership but the county will just take a judgement against all of you.  So please, get it straightened out.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.