Does an apartment complex have to notify the residents when break ins/robberies occur?

In TX. There have been 3 break ins in the last 2 weeks in our apartment complex. I know about of them through a staff member who happens to be a friend. I was told that legally, all residents are supposed to be notified when break ins happen, but residents still have not been notified. Is this a requirement and if so, what are my rights as a tenant? I have only lived here for a month and a half, can I break my lease and go somewhere else?

Asked on July 24, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, most landlords in most states do not affirmatively undertake in writing in a lease or by the hiring of patrol officers that your apartment complex or apartment unit will be crime free.  If landlords did that and a crime occurred, you could potentially sue the landlord even if the landlord had taken precautionary steps.  So you really do not have any recourse against the landlord.  Make sure you notify the landlord and local police if a crime occurs but otherwise a landlord is not required to inform you of any crimes occurring, especially if it would interfere with police investigations. That being said, a crime occurring is not sufficient to get you out of the lease agreement you have with the landlord.  You can choose to approach your landlord about your concerns and ask if the landlord is willing to allow you to surrender the lease without any implications. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.