What will happen if I was charged with burglary in the first degree?

My roommate’s previous roommate refused to give her any of her belongings back, so my roommate, another guy and I decided to break in and get it back. We took all of my roommates things and the guy helping us took addition items, one being a gun. We all 3 were charged with burglary 1st degree. I already know the statutes so I know that if charged with 1st degree, it’s a minimum of 15 years. I just want to know what the odds are of my charges being dropped to 2nd degree burglary? And given the situation, am I looking at prison time or could I possibly get off with probation? I have never been in trouble before.

Asked on February 2, 2013 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense about your matter to see what the best recourse there is for its resolution. Most likely as a part of a plea deal the district attorney's office would be willing to reduce the charge to a second degree burglarly in exchange for a guilty plea. Possibly probation is an option since the matter is your first offense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.