If a divorce decree indicated each party could put a QDRO in place but one party never did, can they put one in place now 19 years later?

Asked on July 21, 2015 under Family Law, New York


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As long as the final decree authorizes the QDRO, it can be done later... even 19 years later.  In fact, many plan administrators for retirement plans will not act on a divorce decree alone... they will usually require the QDRO.  However, before you go to the expense of having a QDRO drafted, contact the plan administrator to see if the decree will be enough.... on the off chance that they will honor the decree as written. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.