Can a court decree regarding who pays the insurance for our daughter be modified?

In my divorce decree it states that my ex will provide the insurance for our daughter and I will pay him half. I have another child now and I would like to cover both children on my insurance since it will not cost extra. I have told him he will not have to pay for any portion of the insurance and we will still split medical bills. If he refuses to agree to this, can I have our decree modified?

Asked on October 7, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can seek a modifcation, however, before you decide to file, consider the cost effectiveness of filing a suit.  Visit with a family law attorney in your area-- and see how much a simple modification will run.  If the cost of the modification will be about the same as or more as the savings, then you may not want to bother with the filing of another suit-- because it means re-enagement with your ex- in court.  However, if the cost will be less than the savings, then that's when you should proceed forward.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.