How doI go about collecting money that was awarded to me in a divorce?

My ex husband was ordered, under contempt powers of the court to pay my credit cards, etc. when he did not pay I took him to court for contempt. The contempt was denied, however,the judges statement states that I am entitled to a judgement from him in the amount of $3,225.26 + legal rate of interest. I was also instructed to file a claim in small claims court for the credit cards that I am paying. I am in the process of paying off a $5,000 credit card debt, which will be paid in September. Can I collect these monies from him and how do I go about doing so.

Asked on July 26, 2010 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Collecting a judgement can be far more difficult than obtaining one in court.  Once you have a judgement that has been entered by the court you can do one of a few things to collect.  First get a Judgement Lien Certificate (ask the clerk of the court in which the judgement was rendered) and file it with the State. You can levy on real property (that would entail filing the judgement in the county clerk or records office) or you could attempt to obtain a levy on his bank accounts or to garnish his pay. You can also seize property.  These are generally the way that a party goes about collecting on a judgement and although I "rattled" them off here, they are not as easy to pull off as they may sound.  You  will have to get the help of a third party to do the seizing if you so choose.  That is usually the sheriff.  

The clerk of the court in which you have obtained the judgement probably has a "how to" booklet of some sort to help you with all of this.  Look here too; Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.