What to do if my mother, a beneficiary to a trust that my grandparents set up, passed away before my grandparents did and they did not include a death clause in their trust?

In this situation do I as an heir to my mother’s estate have any legal recourse to claim part of my grandparents’ estate in my mother’s name?

Asked on February 21, 2013 under Estate Planning, Missouri


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to obtain the services of a litigation probate attorney that has experince interpreting trust provisions. You being a grandchild would have inheritance rights as pretermitted issue of the intended beneficiary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.