If an adult son and his mother have “Joint Rights of Survivorship” to 2 homes and 58 acres, what rights does the adult son’s estranged wife have to this property in a divorce?

Asked on July 15, 2015 under Family Law, Mississippi


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

What needs to be determined is if that property is a marital assset from the first instance.  In other words, was the proeprty purchased during the marriage by the spouse?  Were marital funds used to purchase the property?  If they were and it was purchased during the marriage then there is an argument that it is subject to distribution upon divorce.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.