In Michigan, can a new property owner, gate an easement road which is on his property?(The road has been used by other camp owners for 60+ years.)

10 camp owners get to their camps by way of a “camp road” that goes through each others property. The camp road begins at the main road and goes through the 1st camp property, and on to the 2nd camp and their property, to the 3rd camp and their property, etc etc until the last camp is reached. Can the new camp owner, at camp #1, gate the road?Thereby eliminating/inhibiting access of other camp owners to their camps. If he is willing to give a key to the gate to each of the other camp owners….can the other camp owners legally stop him from putting up a gate??

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to get together and see a lawyer right away.   Although he is willing to give you a key to the gate, the gate could violate your right to access to your camps.  If you don't go on record complaining about the gate it could be seen as your being ok with it.  You need to bring with you your deeds with the easement language in them (hopefully).  If there is a problem with the language you need to straighten it out now.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.