What can beneficiaries do regarding non-payment of an inheritance?

About 9 months ago, the administrator of my deceased aunt’s estate sold her home and notified the family that proceeds of the sale would be distributed among us. Then 5 months ago the attorney for the administrator notified the family that distribution would begin 2 months later. To date, we have received no further communications from either the administrator or the attorney. Neither of them is answering any of our letters or emails. What, as a group, should we do now?

Asked on February 23, 2013 under Estate Planning, New York


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

First obtain yourself a probate litigation lawyer to assist you as a group, who can communicate with the attorney of the estate with a demand as to  the alleged distribution of funds,  where and when distribution is to occur, with a short time limit to respond. The attorney can also file a petition for an immediate accounting of the assets and funds of the estate. Third, if no response within the demand time, consider of contacting your local district attorney for a Criminal complaint for embezzlement against the executor of the estate. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.