May I get unemployment if I quit due to company not being run correctly and immorally?

I work in a call center/office environment. Most our calls lately are vendors not being paid by us. Always angry as we cannot help and only transfer to voicemail or take information knowing know one will contact them back but they’ll call us back many upper management keeps resigning, HR office totally revamped overnight due to resignation. Even the director of HR left, and that’s stressing me more. We’ve only not got paid on time once before but it was terrible and scared it’ll repeat now she’s gone and the CEO resigned. These calls are demoralizing to me, plus stressful as I have to listen to the sad stories. One lady couldn’t make payroll because we haven’t paid. Others threaten legal action and just today a woman told me that she and other vendors were taking this to the press. I just want to leave but in my state I wouldn’t get unemployment for quitting.

Asked on July 13, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Kansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you voluntarily resign from a job, then you are ineligable to receive unemployment benefits. As a general rule this is true no matter the reason that you left, even if the company was being run immorally and poorly.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, if your company is being run in a poor, inefficient, immoral, or even just plain stupid way--which, by the way, is depressingly common; I am in practice for myself because all my former employers were run badly, and I'd rather be my own boss--that is not legal justification for quitting or resigning, and if you do, you will be ineglible for unemployment because it is a voluntary termination of employment. That fact that is a logical or understandable thing to do under the circumstances is irrelevant; if you choose to leave your job, you cannot receive unemployment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.