If a cop catches me on a misedmeanor and doesn’t charge me with it, can he still charge me later down the road?

The local sheriff’s department came barging in my home about 10days ago saying they had a search warrant but showed no one in the home any paper. The police did find 3 baggies of marijuana and scales in the home. They took me to the police department and scared me into helping them catch someone else. I was never charged with trafficking marijuana, a misdemeanor, and the cop told me that if I don’t continue to help he will put me in jail. I strongly believe my brother in law gave written consent for them to search and he doesn’t live here. Did they enter my home illegally?

Asked on July 29, 2012 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were never presented with a search warrant for the police entry into the home that you reside in and there was no search warrant ever issued, then the entry was an illegal search under federal and state constitutions.

Given that you have yet to have been arrested let alone charged over what was discovered during the search, I doubt that you will be charged for possession contraband.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.