In Kansas do I have to respond to a Divorce petition

Hello, My wife and I are seperated, she lives in Kansas and I live in Arizona.
She has filed a petition for divorce and I recieved it 2 weeks ago. Do I have to
respond to this petition

Asked on January 22, 2018 under Family Law, Alaska


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If you don't respond, by filing an answer by the deadline set forth in the summons, your wife will file a default.  A default means that you have lost unless you file a motion to set aside the default and the court accepts the arguments stated in the motion to set aside the default.
If your wife obtains a default judgment against you, it means that she  wins and will be awarded what she is claiming in her petition for dissolution of marriage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.