Is there any law that can prosecute a parent for putting their mentally handicapped adult child in situations to financially benefit?

My brother in law has Asperger’s Syndrom (a form of autism) and is 44 years old. He has lived and financially supported his mother his whole life. Being he has Asperger’s, he is a genius with numbers. We have come to find out she makes him go to the casino 5 days a week to make money for them. She does not allow him to drive, have friends or communicate with his siblings unless she can be involved in the situation. He is terrified of his mother, like a 7 year old scared of getting in trouble. She takes all his money and tells him they are family and must stick together. Mental abuse?

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Criminal Law, Indiana


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to report this information to a local prosecutor in an attempt to seek fraud charges against this person, but it is unlikely that any fraud charges will be filed if this person is the actual guardian or legal representative of this person.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.