In il, what do my fiance and I have to do to change both our last names to a new name.

He doesn’t have a relationship with his
father and would like our last name to
be his mother’s maiden name

Asked on May 31, 2016 under Family Law, Illinois


G.J., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

He can change his name to his mothers maiden name. he can just start using it, but its a better idea to go through the court and change it officially. This requires that he get the paper work either online or at your local county court. Just follow the instructions and don't forget to change all your official documents too!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.