In Georgia, can a public school principal give an unsatisfactory overall annual review without ever informing teacher of any problem?

All evaluations have been satisfactory. Prinicpal gave teacher an overall unsatisfactory evaluation for the year under responsiblities and dutes. Teacher has never been notified verbally or in writing of any problem so that she would have an opportunity to correct. Now principal is giving unfavorable references to teachers prospective employers.

Asked on June 25, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what your have explained I would strongly urge you to contact a local attorney to help you look into this situation and ensure things are being handled properly because you would not want poor references if unnecessary. Basically what you would need to do is review the contract and terms of employment. Oftentimes the procedure for situations like this will be spelled out in a handbook or employment contract. If not than it is left open for interpretation.

This is where the attorney comes in. Based on your performance and what is anything the school says was unsatisfactory you can make an argument to possibly have your review either reversed or simply kept silent pending an additional opportunity to prove you are a good worker. However without specific facts I cannot advise how to handle the situation but would suggest professional assistance. Regardless you should review all the paperwork to help yourself make a valid argument when speaking with administration. You also may want to get any evidence you might have that illustrates you did a good job to help counter their unsatisfactory rating.  good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.