What to do if a wife has stopped paying health insurance and partial rent?

Married 20+ years; living separately 7 years. Wife is leaving the state and stopping all support and rent. Husband is being evicted..

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The husband should divorce the wife, or at least explore that option. While they are married, the law does not impose support obligations on a spouse--that is up to the spouses to decide who pays what. (Note: if there are any contracts or agreements requiring certain payments, it may be that those can be enforced--if there was one, the husband should discuss it with an attorney to see what his rights may be.) However, in divorce, a spouse who was supported in whole or in part can seek spousal support (e.g. alimony) and also a share of the marital assets (e.g. bank accounts, brokerage accounts, vehicles, property). The husband should consult with a matrimonial or divorce law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.