In looking for a medical malpractice lawyer should I look in the state where the incident happened or can I use a lawyer in the state in which I live now?

Asked on October 8, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Washington


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can use a lawyer in the state in which you now live only if the lawyer is admitted in the state where the malpractice occurred and where the potential defendant lives.  That is because that is where any lawsuit will need to be filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.