In California Im on disability and on 1/14/2018 injured by someone else on disability. Can anything be done to get my medical bills paid ?

Its on film I took hold of a ‘tool’ that belonged to my father, then my brother in law lunged at me, grabbing the tool and whipping it and me. Throwing me to the asphalt where I slammed my shoulder and head
The ER took xrays and ct scan. Results, a concussion and a cervical strain. Primary and I feels that I need to spend time in therapy.
The Riverside Police are still investigating this as a battery.

Asked on March 12, 2018 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the attacker, but you may not be able to collect if he doesn't have anything other than disability: disabiity is not subject to collections (that is, it cannot be garnished or levied upon, unlike income from employment), so if the disabiity is his sole source of income, even if you sue and win, you might not receive any money unless he has sufficient savings in the bank to pay any judgment or award you get.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.