If my brother died and left no Will, who gets his estate?

He’s not married and has no children and both my parents are dead. I am the only next of kin; there are no other brothers or sisters.

Asked on July 15, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Then you would take his estate by intestacy.  If the estate is large, you need to hire an attorney to process the estate through probate and this can take some time.  If the esate is smaller, then you may want to just handle things informally as long as you don't think there is anyone that is going to contest your taking the estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.