Am I required to disclose that there is a residential care facility for disabled adults in the neighborhood?

A residential care facility a.k.a. residential care home a.k.a. board and care home. 2 to 6 adults housed in a single-

family residence. CA also refers to this type of facility as a small family home.

Asked on September 18, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you are not required to actively disclose it: a seller's obligation is to disclose facts about his/her property, but he/she does not have to affirmatively (that is, without being asked) disclose facts about the town, neighborhood, community, etc. A buyer concerned about the surrounding area must research it him/herself.
However, if asked by the buyer, you can't lie, even by omission: you must respond truthfully to a question, since a lie or mispresentation made in response to a question would be fraud. So if asked if there are group homes, you'd have to answer honestly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.