In California as an Executor of a trust, what fee can I charge the estate

I have been an unpaid caregiver, POA, Directive, etc for 4 1/2 years. I was named as the executor of my friends estate and thought I would be able to collect something after my friend passed away. Can you please tell me what if anything I am entitle to for taking care of all her affairs. She has an est. 300K and no home to sell.

Asked on October 24, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  You need to review the Will first to see if in fact your fees are set there.  Many times a Will does not allow for Executor fees.  If, though, it does then it is set by statute in California. Good luck.
(1) Four percent on the first one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000).(2) Three percent on the next one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000).(3) Two percent on the next eight hundred thousand dollars ($800,000).(4) One percent on the next nine million dollars ($9,000,000).(5) One-half of one percent on the next fifteen million dollars ($15,000,000).(6) For all amounts above twenty-five million dollars ($25,000,000), a reasonable amount to be determined by the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.