As the supporting spouse, in a hearing to re-assess alimony payments, can I inquire about ex spouses expenses and other sources of income?

I’ve been divorced 18 months and scheduled to re-asses alimony payments after 24 months. I’m assuming I’ll bring my financial details to make the case that alimony should be reduced if not eliminated. Can I legally compel ex spouse for her details re: assets, income, expenses?

Asked on May 3, 2016 under Family Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can serve your ex by mail with a request for production of documents pertaining to the information you are seeking. With regard to income and expenses, your ex should be required to produce an income and expense declaration. If your ex  already produced an income and expense declaration at the time of your divorce, you should still request it in order to obtain a current one as there may have been changes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.