IN a full pay apartment iwhat is the occupancy per bedroom and is the lliving room considered a sleeping room

we moved to another state the last state i was in had a 2 person per sleeping roo and the living room was considered a sleeping room not sure if it slept 1 or 2.I originally filled in the apartment application with my name my 19 year old sons and my 11 year old sons. the office had my son refill in the forms and he only put his name on the lease. recently the apartments gained a new manager she said she had us as behind in rent, not, she said we were paying too low rent for a 2 bedroom, we are in a one bedroom. and that we were in violation of occupancy lease. I explained above.

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


x x

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Do you have a copy of the lease? I'd have to see it before I can say if anyone is in violation of it and whether or not it is silent on the matter of counting the living room as a sleeping room. Ordinarily, occupancy rates are determined by local housing codes; and landlords must not lease in excess of those rates. Feel free to call me at 913 441 5025 or email me at if you want me to review your lease and give you a more specific opinion.

Sean Santoro

Santoro Law Office

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.