In a divorce settlement, can there be limitations on who my ex-spouse exposes our children to?

For example can I prevent him from seeing his mistress post-divorce in exchange for more time with the kids?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Family Law, Massachusetts


David Lee / Law Offices of David Lee

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are submitting these limitations by agreement of both parties, a Judge will not likely interfere in your agreement.  However, it would be very unusual to restrict who your ex-spouse can "see", without the children being present.  However, it is common to include a restriction on who may be present during your ex-spouse's parenting time."  For example, you can include a paragraph "prohibiting the presence of "mistress" during ex-spouse's parenting time.  Keep in mind, he does not have to agree to this restriction.  If you feel that mistress's presence will adversely affect your children, you can have a hearing/trial on the issue.

For more information on Joint Parenting Agreements, visit my website at:

David Lee



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.