What do I do if 5 years ago I married an Indonesian man who was here on a visa but the following year he returned to his homeland and apparently to his wife?

This is an automatically void marriage. However, how do I go about removing this marriage from my life, going back to my maiden name and so forth? I do not have copies of his Indo marriage license and it has been impossible to get info. I do have an e-mail from immigration, stating that he filled out his return visa application with his true wife’s name. I’m so desperate to get my life back and my name.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You may need to seek legal help here as soon as you can.  The e-mail from immigration may be enough "evidence" to support your application to the court to declare the marriage void, which is what you need to do.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.