Improper execution of search and seizure laws by police

My house was raided on June 18th. As soon as I answered the door, they rushed into my house. I asked to see a warrant, the cop said “we don’t need to show you one” I kept demanding to see a warrant. One officer said “you got alot of balls to talk like that to a bunch of cops who can shoot you” making my life feel threatened. So I shut up to not get shot. But they began searching my house before they read or showed a warrant I didn’t even see the warrant until the next day when I got released, when the law says that before conducting a search they are to read the warrant and give a copy.

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, Oregon


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It's hard to comment on your question because there is a lot more information that would be necessary to get the entire picture here.  If you're being charged with an offense connected to something taken by the police in this search, you need to discuss this with your attorney.

If the detailed facts of your case justify it, your lawyer might file a motion to suppress the evidence obtained, and the court would have to rule on the legality of the search.  If the police broke the rules, whatever they found can't be used against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.