i”m under 21 my mom wants to apply for my green card . What’s the best way to do that?

I entered the United States of America under
visitors visa, now I’m legally here under DACA .
I’m 20 years old and my mom just got her
citizenship. How would she go about applying
for me before my 21 birthday?

Asked on April 19, 2016 under Immigration Law, Massachusetts


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your mother if she is a US citizen, can petition for you and you can concurrently file for your adjustment of status if you entered the US lawfully and can prove that lawful entry.  You need to do this as soon  as  possible because once you turn 21 you will no longer be eligible for the concurrent filing and you may have to wait several years before being eligible, or possibly not at all if you fall out of status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.