If I’m trying to file for custody of my 3 kids, is there a way I would owe any baxk child support for all the years I wasn’t aware that I wasn’t on their birth certificates?

I’ve raised them along with their mother their whole lives but I’ve never been on their birth certificates.

Asked on January 28, 2013 under Family Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

So I am assuming that you have no formal custody and support order in place which also assumes that "legally" you are not listed as their father, correct?  You need to establish parentage here and if their Mother will testify that you have been there 50/50 raising them then you could indeed refute an order for back support.  But there is always a possibility that it can be ordered if requested.  Seek advice from the attorney helping you with the custody order.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.