If I’m separated from the father of my son, since we purchase a home 6 years ago and he abandoned it 2 years ago, do I have any legal right to the house?

We were never married.

Asked on December 12, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

How the deed of the property is held is what matters here.  If you are both on the deed as joint owners of the property then you and he have the same rights.  But if only his name is on the deed then it is his property and you have no rights that would have ben available if you were married.  Take the necessary documents to some one to review for you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.