If I’m planning to start to file I-130 for spousal petition USCIS will approve it, can my spouse apply for a SSN and a green card while in the Philippines?

What are the forms the needs to be filled?

Asked on November 16, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, your spouse is not eligible for any of the US benefits such as SSN until the spouse obtains the immigrant visa and enters the US and is then considered a green card holder.  The process will take about 12 months from filing to visa issuance, on average.  If you are not familiar with what needs to be done, it is advisable for you to consult with an immigration attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.