What to do if I’m on probation for a drug felony that was initially for a 6 month period but it’s been 2 years since I have not been able to pay off fines?

I just received a misdemeanor for open intoxication, even though I blew a 0.0; I had an open beer. I’m thinking of fighting the ticket and paying off felony probation before I go to court. Will this work so I don’t go to jail due to violating probation? I’m enrolled in school and I have a job.

Asked on August 25, 2013 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Please get a lawyer to go with you.  Let the lawyer help you pay off the fines now and explain for you that you did not have the funds until now. At first glance it appears that you have violated probation and that may be the bottom line. If you had to pay the fines as a condition of probation and you did not then you could be in trouble.  Please do not do this alone.  You are making strides toward a new life and you should be proud of that.  Now you need a little insurance to make sure things go smoothly.  A lawyer is such insurance. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.