I’m on fmla with my wife, can my employer ask for a drs note every time I’m off?

I provided proper paperwork to be on fmla with my wife after her
surgery, now my employer wants a drs note every time I take her to
the Dr or stay home with her. Is this legal or is it a hippa

Asked on July 2, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, this is not a HIPPA or any other kind of violation of the law. The fact is that an employer can set the terms of employment much as it sees fit. And this includes reuiring an employee to present a doctor's note for each absence, whether or not FNLA related. So unless this mandate violates the terms of a union agreement/employment contract, or constitues some form of legally actionble discrimination, it is legal.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is not a violation. An employer is entitled to ask for confirmation or verification of an employee's FMLA-related absences, and does not need to take the employee's statement that it is for his or his spouse's medical care at face value.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.