What do I need to do to become power of attorney for my husband?

We never had a Will made together. He had a stroke over a year ago and he can’t speak or write.

Asked on August 15, 2013 under Estate Planning, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your husband and your situation.  At this point in time a Power of Attorney is not possible since he would have to execute it and he can not.  You need to become his guardian and conservator.  You would need to do this if you intend on transferring a joint asset or making decisions for him health wise.  Get some advise form an attorney in the area and let him or her know what your intentions are.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.