What to do f I’m filing an N-400 and the USCIS sent me a letter because they need tax forms for the past 3 years?

I’m married to a US citizen and we filed jointly 2 years ago but last year we filed separately. Is there any problem for my documents and for my interview?

Asked on August 19, 2013 under Immigration Law, Colorado


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Hello. Married couples may file their personal income taxes separately for all sorts of reasons. Do contact a knowledgeable private attorney for assistance with your legal issues and she/he will be happy to help you. You may phone my law firm on Saturdays and Sundays, as well as weekdays. Immigration and Visa law is federal law, so any knowledgeable licensed attorney may assist you. This website provides general information and general principles of law and does not provide private legal advice. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.


Tricia Dwyer, Esq.


Phone: 612-296-9666






Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you are filing based on a 3 year residency history and your marriage, they need this to prove you are still in a bona fide relationship with your US spouse. If you filed separately, you need to explain why. For example, saving taxes. If you live separately, it will be an issue. If you have your green card for more than 5 years, it should be OK.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.