I’m charged for a Christmas gift card given to me

The company I work for takes 50 out of my
check and gives to us in the form of a gift
card to a grocery chain. I was wondering if
this is legal since we are forced to go to this
grocery chain if we are to use our own money.

Asked on December 6, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

No, it is not legal. The law is very clear that money cannot be taken out of an employee paycheck, even to give to the employee in some other form (e.g. a gift card) without employee consent or agreement. The employer could have given a Christmas bonus (additional money) in the form of a gift card, but cannot take money out of your pay for it. You could technically sue for the $50, but it is unlikely to be worth doing so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.