What to do if a judge awarded my child’s mother over 80% of my monthly income but the legal limit in my state is 50%?

The judge said I just need to work more. That’s not possible. I’m a full-time college student with a part-time job.

Asked on November 16, 2012 under Family Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you immediately consult with a family law attorney about the adverse order issued against you to see what your legal recourse is such as an appeal since the amount awarded exceeds the legal limit allowable in the state you reside in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.