Is there a stautute of limitations on child molestation?

I’m 40 years old now. When I was 10, I was molestated by my next door neighbor. I blocked this out of my mind for 30 years until yesterday. Can I bring up civil and criminal charges against him?

Asked on January 6, 2013 under Personal Injury, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country the criminal claims most likely are time barred under your state's criminal statute of limitations. As to a civil action, most states require a criminal filing within three years after one turns 18 years of age or within three years of remembering the event after the age of 18. I suggest that you immediately consult with a personal injury attorney about your matter and what your legal recourse may be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.