If I’m 18 and am in the process of getting my green card renewed and my passport is expired but I do have a SSN, can I get a job?

I never had a job. I’m waiting for my green card but in the meantime, can I get a job? I also have a school ID

Asked on September 7, 2016 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you have a green card that is expired, that should be enough, along with a receipt notice for the extension of your green card, your social security card and other id.  If you are hired, once you get the new green card you can let HR of your company know, to update your I-9 records.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.