If I’m 17 and my girlfriend’s mom is moving away but my girlfriend is 16 and she wants to move in with me, can she?

Her mom is completely OK with it but she said something about my having to go get a lawyer and go through the court to get some papers signed. I just want a little more help on what I need to do to get the job done.

Asked on July 22, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your girlfriend wishes to move in with you and she obtains a written and notarized agreement as to such from her mother, she can do so under the laws of all states in this country. However, from a practical point, I question the good judgment of you, your girlfriend and her mother.

You two are minors, presumably have not finished high school and received a degree, and are very young to be making such an important decision as to each other let alone how you are going to support the other financially.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.