If I was convicted of a misdemeanor, how do I clear my record?

Asked on July 24, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Most states allow for the expungement of misdemeanor convictions, which means that others do not. To find out the law in the state in which the conviction occurred (not necessarily the one in whichyou live now), the best thing to do is to google the name of the state and the word "expungment". You should find most of the information that you need in order to check your eligibility for clearing your criminal history record. Additionally, you ay also find the documents you need to file are available.

If you still have questions, you can directly contact an attorney for further explanation/advice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.