Illegal removal of property

I have some of my things stored at a cousin’s house in St. Louis County. His wife said I could leave them there until I found a place. She changed her mind a week or so later and wants me to move them. What legal steps does she have to take and what are my rights? This was a verbal agreement with no money exchanged.

Asked on June 3, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


x x

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I need more information. To hold goods for another is a bailment. Did you pay her any consideration for this? If so, she must hold them in a commercially reasonable matter and has a greater responsibility for them. If you didn't pay her anything, it is considered a gratuitous bailment and she need only use reasonable care to hold - or dispose - of them. Feel free to email me at or call 913 441 5025 for more information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.