Is it legal for a job to ask me what dates I started and graduated from college?

I did graduate and I graduated from a prestigious university, but I don’t want the employer to know my age. They can pretty much guess your age if they know the year you started and finished college.

Asked on September 10, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is illegal to discriminate against an employee or prospective employee, such as by not hiring him or her, or firing him or her, because he or she is age 40 or over. If you are 40 or older and do not get the job or get fired because of your age (e.g. there is no other reasonable explanation or grounds for the action), you may have an employment discrimination claim and may be entitled to compensation. If you feel you have suffered such age-related employment discrimination, contract the EEOC.
Note though that what is illegal is discriminating against you because you are over 40; it is not illegal to simply ask you about your age (either directly or indirectly); and it is also not illegal to take action based on your age if you are less than 40 (i.e. the legal protection only kicks in once you hit 40).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.